Shelby Drury has over 20 years of experience litigating major matters and resolving disputes for clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to Closely Held Businesses.
Shelby has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of complex commercial litigation matters including shareholder and partnership disputes, real estate matters, legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, consumer and common law fraud, breach of contract, and tort claims.
Shelby was honored in 2014 and 2015 as a “Volunteer of the Year” by the LAF Education Pro Bono Project for her ongoing representation of two students, third and fifth-grade siblings, fighting to get special education services at a Chicago Public School. Shelby successfully secured much-needed special education services for both children.
Shelby was a summer associate at Novack and Macey in 1997 and joined the Firm as an associate in 1998 after graduating from Northwestern University School of Law. Shelby was later promoted to Of Counsel.
- University of Illinois (B.S. 1995), highest honors, Bronze Tablet distinction (top 3% of her class)
- Northwestern University (J.D. 1998), cum laude; note and comment editor, Journal of International Law and Business
Speeches & Publications
- Co-author, “Civil Practice: Trying the Case – 2019 Edition,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, December 2018.
- Faculty, Pocket MBA Fall 2015: Finance for Lawyers and Other Professionals, “A Pocket Full of Ethical Considerations,” Practising Law Institute Seminar, November 2–3, 2015, Chicago.
- Author, “Ethical Questions,” Practising Law Institute, Corporate Law and Practice Course Handbook Series, 2015.
- “Clearing the courts: How to draft enforceable noncompetition agreements,” Smart Business Chicago, July 2014. View PDF.
- “Ownership and Control of Lawyers’ Files Relating to Representation,” CBA Record, November 2013. View PDF.
- “Get it in writing: How to incorporate agreements and promises into written contracts,” Smart Business Chicago, June 2013. View PDF.
- Co-Author, “Contract Law: Breach of Contract and Nonperformance,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) (2013)
- Author, “Arbitrators’ Undisclosed Concurrent Service Not Indicative of Bias,” American Bar Association Section of Litigation Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, Articles, April 23, 2013.
- Co-author, “Illinois Civil Practice: Trying the Case,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2012.
- Co-author, “An Unexpected Bite: An Explanation of the Fickle Fiduciary Rule,” CBA Record, February/March 2000.
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Win Resounding Victory in Seventh Circuit for Bankers Life
- "Appeals Court Ruling Chips at Arbitration" in Crain's Chicago Business, Aug, 3, 2016
- Shelby Drury and Elizabeth Wolicki Honored by LAF as Volunteers of the Year
- Employers Who Draft Overly Ambitious Noncompetition Agreements for Employees to Sign May Be Asking for Trouble, Says Attorney Shelby Drury
- Novack and Macey Wins Seventh Circuit Decision in Favor of the Trump Tower Chicago Developer [with contributions by Shelby Drury]
- Shelby Drury Explains “How to Incorporate Agreements and Promises into Written Contracts” in Smart Business Chicago Magazine
- IICLE Recognizes Novack and Macey Volunteers as “Exceptional Writers” of Civil-Litigation Materials [including Shelby Drury]
- Drury Contributes to 2012 Illinois Civil Practice Handbook
- Drury Promoted to Of Counsel