Matt concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation and legal malpractice defense. He is a member of the firm’s Closely Held Companies and Legal Malpractice Defense practice groups, and has worked on matters involving partnership breakups, anti-trust litigation, contract disputes, shareholder derivative suits, and professional malpractice actions. Matt is also a co-editor and frequent contributor to Novack and Macey's Illinois Legal Malpractice and Defense of Lawyers Blog through which he regularly updates readers on new developments in Illinois legal malpractice law.
Prior to joining Novack and Macey LLP, Matt was an associate at The Law Offices of Edward T. Joyce and Associates PC, where he also focused on commercial and professional malpractice law. Matt received his B.A. from Washington and Lee University and upon graduation was awarded a two-year, post-graduate Fulbright Fellowship. Thereafter, Matt earned his J.D. from the Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where he was captain of the John J. Gibbons Criminal Procedure Moot Court Team.
Speeches & Publications
- Author, "Dog Bites Man: When Attorneys Sue Their Clients." JD Supra, October 3, 2019.
- Author, "Illinois Third District Holds That General Five-Year Limitations Period Does Not Apply to Court-Ordered Buyouts Under the Business Corporations Act," Novack and Macey Case Study, May 30, 2019.
- Co-editor and contributing author to Novack and Macey's Illinois Legal Malpractice and Defense of Lawyers Blog.
- Author, "Illinois Second District Highlights 2017 Changes to LLC's Duties to Dissociated Members." JD Supra, August 31, 2018.
- Author, "Idaho Supreme Court Joins Majority, Holds that the Corporate Veil May Be Pierced to Reach Non-Shareholder." Novack and Macey Case Study, June 28, 2018.