Chris has significant experience in complex commercial litigation matters including breach of contract, business torts, partnership disputes, employment disputes, and compensation and restrictive covenant disputes.
Chris has represented numerous companies and individuals in courts throughout the country. Chris provides the perspective he has gained as an experienced private practitioner, as well as skills he acquired as a former Visiting Assistant Professor of Law at the University of Illinois, where he taught torts and products liability. The American Bar Association’s Section of Litigation Alternative Dispute Resolution website was chosen as the ABA's Best Website of 2016, when Chris was the co-editor for that site.
Each year since 2013, Chris has been named as an Illinois Super Lawyer based on peer recognition and professional achievement. The Super Lawyers List recognizes no more than five percent of attorneys in each state.
Chris understands that being an effective litigator and counselor ultimately is about finding the right solutions for each unique situation. Sometimes it means tenacious litigation from the trial court to appeal. Other times it means making a few telephone calls to solve a problem before it spirals out of control. Whatever the situation, he believes each client deserves a committed ally who will fight to make a positive difference for them.
Chris is the co-author of a web application for Illinois attorneys, the “Illinois Litigation Rules App.” The App was created by commercial litigators for commercial litigators and integrates – in an elegant and easy to use format – commonly invoked provisions of the Illinois Code of Civil Procedure and the Illinois Supreme Court Rules. The web application is accessible from all electronic devices – PCs, laptops, tablets and mobile phones. It is available at no cost through the Novack and Macey website.
Chris is the founder of Chicago Attorney Motorcyclists (CAM). He organized CAM in 2014 as a recreational alternative for attorneys who enjoy motorcycling and wish to network and socialize with other lawyers who share their enthusiasm. Link. He currently rides a Triumph Bonneville T100 and has led the group in several rides including a trip from Chicago to the Washington, D.C. area. Contact Chris for more information about CAM.
- University of Chicago (B.A. 1993)
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D. 1998), Summa Cum Laude, Order of the Coif; editor-in-chief, University of Illinois Law Review
Speeches & Publications
- "How to Effectively Prove and Defend Lost Profits Damages," The Knowledge Congress, September 2018.
- "Availability of Class Action an Issue for the Courts," a Case Note on Dell Webb Communities, Inc. v. Carlson, 817 F.3d 867 (4th Cir. 2016), Practice Points, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, May 31, 2016. View PDF
- “Outlined Mediation Settlement Agreement Enforced,” a Case Note on PNC Bank, N.A. v. Springboro Medical Arts, 2015-Ohio-3386 (Ohio App. Ct. 2015), Practice Points, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, Oct. 27, 2015. View PDF
- Co-Author, Chapter 5, “Venue in Federal Civil Cases,” Federal Civil Practice 2015, published by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2015.
- Co-Author, Chapter 8, “Recurring Ethical Issues When Representing Closely Held Entities,” Handbook on Disputes Involving Closely Held Companies, published by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2015.
- “District Court Rejects Pre-Award ‘Stacked Deck’ Challenge to Arbitrator Selection Process,” a Case Note on Avic International, Inc. v. Tang Energy Ltd., No. 3:14-CV-2815-K, 2015 WL 477316 (N.D. Tex. Feb. 5, 2015). News & Developments, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, February 26, 2015. View PDF
- “Seventh Circuit Re-Affirms Courts’ Limited Review of Arbitration Awards,” a Case Note on United Steel Workers International Union v. PPG Industries, Inc., 751 F.3d 580 (7th Cir. 2014), News & Developments, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, August 26, 2014. View PDF
- “Availability of Class Arbitration Is For the Courts to Decide,” Case Note, Reed Elsevier, Inc. v. Crockett, 734 F.3d 594 (6th Cir. 2013), News & Developments, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, February 14, 2014. View PDF
- “Arbitrators Do Not Exceed Their Powers Simply Because They Render a ‘Bad or Ugly’ Decision,” Case Note, Oxford Health Plans LLC v. Sutter, – U.S –, 133 S. Ct. 2064, No. 12-135 (June 10, 2013), News & Developments, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, February 6, 2014. View PDF
- “Eleventh Circuit Upholds Arbitrator’s Class Certification,” Case Note, Southern Commc’ns Services, Inc. v. Thomas, 720 F.3d 1352 (11th Cir. 2013), News & Developments, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, November 1, 2013.
- “Delaware S. Ct. Explains Difference between Substantive and Procedural Arbitrability,” Case Note , Viacom Int’l v. Winshall, ___ A.3d ___, No. 513,2012, 2013 WL 3679786 (Del. July 16, 2013), News & Developments, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, September 23, 2013.
- “Texas Enforces Arbitration Clause in Trust Agreement,” Case Note, Rachal v. Reitz, ___ S.W.3d ___, 2013 WL 1859249 (Tex. May 3, 2013), News & Developments, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, June 12, 2013.
- “Default and Default Judgment,” Chapter 7, Illinois Civil Practice Handbook, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2012.
- “The Collapse of the Auction Rate Securities Market,” October 2009. View PDF
- Recovering Attorney Fees for Litigation Work Performed by In-House Counsel. View PDF
- “Venue in Federal Civil Cases,” Chapter 5, Federal Civil Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, March 17, 2010.
- Winning a $70 million judgment in a breach of contract action against a pharmaceutical company
- Securing a summary-judgment victory in a multi-million dollar case brought by a man who had “mooned” his bosses, and cementing that victory on appeal
- Reversing in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals an unfavorable trial-court decision in what has been referred to as a “landmark” ERISA decision
- Preserving a trial-court victory for a well-known Chicago restaurant in a case appealed to the Illinois Supreme Court View PDF
- Appealing and reversing an unfavorable trial decision against a client in a multi-million dollar partnership dispute (client was represented by a different firm in the trial court)
- Defeating a former partner’s compensation and breach-of-fiduciary-duty claims against a nationally known law firm following a three-day arbitration hearing
- Resolving on highly favorable terms a former partner’s compensation and breach-of-fiduciary duty claims against a nationally known law firm
- Securing a favorable settlement (on the eve of trial) for a prestigious law firm in an employment dispute with a former employee
- Securing a lucrative settlement for a high-level executive in a compensation and contract dispute with his former employer
- 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Marinello and Moore Receive ABA Best Website Award
- Biker Lawyers Ride for Charity
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Win Resounding Victory in Class Action against Client
- 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Lawyers Develop Rules App for Commercial Litigators
- Christopher S. Moore Named Co-Editor of ABA’s Section of Litigation ADR Website
- Chris Moore Presents IICLE Webinar on Federal Practice
- “Small but Mighty” Litigation Boutique Scores Eight Appellate Victories in 2012
- Victory on Appeal in Landmark Decision by Fifth Circuit Court
- Novack and Macey Clients Win: Trial Court Victory Is Affirmed on Appeal in “Mooning” Case
- Christopher Moore Explains How a Business May Recover for an In-House Lawyer’s Services
- Richard G. Douglass and Christopher S. Moore Elevated to Partner
- IICLE Recognizes Novack and Macey Volunteers as “Exceptional Writers” of Civil-Litigation Materials
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Obtain Dismissal of Arbitration Proceeding
- Novack and Macey LLP’s Recent Supreme Court Victory Is the Latest in a String of Victories on Behalf of its Clients in Illinois Reviewing Courts
- Even on Appeal, CIB Bank Cannot Defeat Novack and Macey
- David Beats Goliath…Again