Andrew Shelby is a commercial litigator and trial lawyer. He represents Fortune 500 companies, closely held businesses, entrepreneurs, real estate developers, and other lawyers and law firms.
Andrew has represented clients in disputes involving real estate and merger transactions, professional negligence, breach of contract, employment issues, class actions and business torts. In doing so, he has successfully briefed and argued dispositive motions, taken and defended depositions of senior executives and key witnesses, participated in numerous trials and evidentiary proceedings and worked on appeals.
Representative matters on which Andrew has worked include:
- An arbitration award for the owner of a Michigan Avenue property, finding no substantial completion as alleged by the developer.
- Representing individual directors of a national construction company in a dispute with shareholders over a proposed $100 million transaction.
- Representing a restaurant in defeating a claim by the City of Chicago to have its contract declared void.
- Obtaining a complete victory for the owner of a poultry processing plant accused in a putative class action of failing to pay overtime.
- Representing a national insurance company in a dispute with its commercial real estate broker regarding an office relocation.
- Representing the former CEO of an artisan coffee company who successfully revamped the business ahead of its acquisition regarding the non-payment of compensation and bonuses due upon the successful sale.
Andrew is a member of the Firm’s Real Estate Litigation and Defense of Lawyers Practice Groups.
Each year since 2012, Super Lawyers selected Andrew as an Illinois Rising Star, an honor given to fewer than 2.5 percent of all Illinois lawyers. In 2018, he was selected as an Emerging Lawyer. This distinction is given to fewer than two percent of lawyers who are age 40 or under or have been practicing law for 10 years or less.
- Kenyon College, (B.A., 2003) with distinction in Philosophy
- Indiana University, Bloomington, (J.D., 2008) cum laude, Maurer School of Law
Speeches & Publications
- Author, "Five Ways to Avoid a Commercial Lease Dispute," Illinois RE Journal, April 2018.
- Co-author, "Beware: Illinois Federal Attorney-Client Privileges and Work Product Doctrines are Different," Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 105 #11, November 2017. View PDF.
“Fifth Circuit Rules in OMG, L.P. v. Heritage Auctions,” a Case Note on OMG, L.P. v. Heritage Auctions, No. 14-10403, 2015 WL 2151779 (5th Cir. May 8, 2015), News & Developments, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, Sept. 29, 2015. View PDF.
- “Tennessee High Court Clarifies Tennessee Law to Avoid Preemption,” a Case Note on Berent v. CMH Homes, Inc., No. E2013-01214-SC-R11-CV, 2015 WL 3526984, —S.W.3d—(Tenn. June 5, 2015), American Bar Association Section of Litigation Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee Website, July 28, 2015. View PDF.
- “Preservation plan: Discovery of electronically stored information poses significant risks,” Smart Business Chicago, November 2014. View PDF.
- Co-author, Fighting anonymous online defamation, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, March 11, 2014. View PDF.
- Co-author, Internet Defamation: The Need to Change Illinois and Federal Law.” CBA Record, February-March 2013. View PDF.
- Andrew Shelby Named on the Best Lawyers® 2021 "Best Lawyers in America" List for Legal Malpractice Defense
- Andrew Shelby Named on Chicago Law Media's Leading and Emerging Lawyers List for 2020
- Andrew Shelby named a Rising Star on the 2019 Illinois Super List
- Andrew Shelby Named on the Illinois 40 Under Forty Attorneys to Watch in 2018
- 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Secure Trial Victory for Directors of Family Owned Business
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Win Resounding Victory in Seventh Circuit for Bankers Life
- 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- "Appeals Court Ruling Chips at Arbitration" in Crain's Chicago Business, Aug, 3, 2016
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Defeat Motion to Dismiss Client’s Complaint
- 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Hard Fought Victory for Park Grill
- Novack and Macey Attorneys including Andrew Shelby Win Complete Victory in Putative Class Action under Fair Labor Standards Act and Illinois Minimum Wage Law
- Novack and Macey Wins Appeal in Case of First Impression
- Marinello and Shelby Advocate Changes in Illinois Law on Internet Defamation; Chicago Bar Association Agrees and Will Sponsor Legislation
- Marinello and Shelby: Laws on Internet Defamation Need to Change
- “Small but Mighty” Litigation Boutique Scores Eight Appellate Victories in 2012
- Novack and Macey Scores Hard-Fought Summary Judgment Victories