Alexander Berg is a partner and trial lawyer at Novack and Macey LLP, where his practice focuses on commercial litigation in a wide variety of matters, including professional negligence, breach of contract, fraud suits, breach of fiduciary duty, employment disputes, and partnership disputes. Alex represents individuals and businesses of all sizes in complex civil cases in federal and state courts and before arbitrators throughout the country.
Alex has first-chair trial and arbitration experience and is experienced in all phases of offensive and defensive litigation from pre-suit investigation through trial and appeal. He has a successful track record of managing complex commercial cases and has been named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine every year since 2016.
Alex is a member of the firm’s Legal Malpractice Defense group where he represents law and accounting firms in malpractice, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty cases.
Alex maintains a very active pro bono practice and is co-coordinator of the Firm’s pro bono program.
Before joining Novack and Macey, Alex was an associate at Kirkland and Ellis LLP in both their Washington, D.C., and Chicago offices. He was born and raised outside Boston, Massachusetts, and he currently lives in Chicago with his wife Sara and their children.
- Tufts University (B.A. 2004), Magna Cum Laude; Member of the Men’s Varsity Soccer Team
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D. 2007), High Honors, Order of the Coif; Production Editor, The George Washington Law Review
Speeches & Publications
- “Arbitration of Attorney Malpractice Claims,” American Bar Association Section of Litigation Professional Services Liability Website, June 8, 2016. View PDF.
- Co-Author, Chapter 1, “Litigation Issues Related to Corporate Governance in Closely Held Illinois Businesses,” Handbook on Disputes Involving Closely Held Companies, published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2015.
- “Delaware Enacts Streamlined Arbitration Process,” Note, American Bar Association Section of Litigation Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee Website, June 18, 2015. View PDF.
- “Rules Governing Attorney Advertising, Marketing and Solicitation,” Presentation with Joshua E. Liebman to the Committee on Attorney Malpractice, The Chicago Bar Association, March 3, 2015. View presentation.
- Represented metal company in suit against joint venture partner alleging breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented real estate company related to commission on the sale of a high-end condominium.
- Represented real estate developer in suit alleging breach of contract and breach of guaranty related to commercial property in Oak Park, Illinois.
- Represented Fortune 100 company in arbitration for breach of contract related to footwear contract.
- Represented healthcare billing company in breach of contract case with large health care system.
- Represented law firm in appeal related to expulsion of partner.
- Represented fixture manufacturer in breach of contract case against major pharmacy store chain.
- Represented commercial real estate financier on breach of contract, fraud, and civil conspiracy claims brought by potential borrower.
- Represented physician in breach of contract suit against former manager of medical practice.
- Represented former CEO in breach of contract lawsuit against the company related to retirement payments.
- Represent individuals in lawsuits against their current and former employers related to restrictive covenants and other employment-related issues.
- 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- “Small but Mighty” Litigation Boutique Scores Eight Appellate Victories in 2012
- Novack and Macey LLP Collaborates with LAF to Represent Students in Special Education and School Disciplinary Disputes
- Marinello and Berg Prevail for Client in Appeal of Arbitration Award
- Berg Publishes Article on Protective Orders
- Daily Law Bulletin Announces Alexander Berg as New Novack and Macey Associate