Monte L. Mann
- Closely Held Corporation and Partnership Disputes
- Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
Monte Mann represents clients in high-stakes litigation concerning a wide variety of subject matters, with a particular emphasis on the financial services, commercial real estate, insurance and manufacturing industries. His blog on “business divorce”–closely held corporation and partnership disputes–can be found here.
In 2005, Monte Mann was named one of the “40 Illinois Attorneys under 40 To Watch,” a prestigious list published annually by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company. The Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer have called Monte “one of the top litigators in the city [of Chicago].” For several consecutive years, Chicago Magazine has recognized him as a “Rising Star,” one of the Top Young Commercial Litigation Attorneys in Illinois, and a “Superlawyer.”
Monte is a member of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society established to reflect the new face of the American bar. Membership is limited to 3,500 Fellows, representing less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
In 2007, in what the Chicago Tribune called an “extraordinary ruling”, the Circuit Court of Cook County appointed Monte as its Independent Counsel to investigate the role played by the indicted law firm Milberg Weiss Bershad & Shulman in finding plaintiffs to bring a shareholders’ derivative action against Boeing. This prestigious court appointment also was covered in the national press including but not limited to the Wall Street Journal.
For several consecutive years, based on Monte Mann’s representation of Cummins, Inc., Novack and Macey has been named one of the “Go-To” litigation firms for Fortune 500 companies by the publishers of Corporate Counsel magazine. This honor placed the firm in an exclusive group of law firms recognized for delivering exceptional services to Fortune 500 companies and an even more exclusive group that does so in the field of business litigation.
Monte has cross-examined some of Wall Street’s most powerful players including Jamie Dimon, Chief Executive Officer of JPMorgan Chase and Howard Milstein, Chairman and CEO of New York Private Bank & Trust and Emigrant Savings Bank.
Others have described Monte Mann as follows:
- “He is one of the hardest working and brightest people that I know, and he is incredibly committed to his clients and his legal practice . . . . Monte shows amazing poise, judgment and advocacy skills.” — M.L., General Counsel, NY-based hedge fund.
- “I am never concerned about whether a litigation matter is being handled properly when Monte is the lead attorney. He is pragmatic and is the epitome of a ‘business persons’ lawyer.” — A.M., General Counsel, publically traded automotive-related franchisor.
- “His scholarship is first rate [and] he is brutally efficient. There are no wasted motions, no wasted words, no blind alleys and none of the nonsense oft times associated with litigation.” — J. A., Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel, midwest-based real estate developer.
Monte Mann also has successfully represented inmates to correct sentencing errors and redress civil rights violations suffered during incarceration. He has served on the Board of Directors for the Art Institute of Chicago’s Evening Associates, which is committed to increasing awareness of art and the resources of the Chicago Art Institute, as well as raising funds for audience development programming at the Art Institute. He is originally from the Chicago area.
- Defended international engine manufacturer in U.S. and Canadian antitrust and consumer fraud class action lawsuits.
- Defended automotive filters manufacturer in national antitrust class action lawsuits.
- Represented plastics manufacturer in multimillion dollar wrongful death claim arising from plant accident
- Defended global real estate services firm in $300 million claim for negligent real estate portfolio advice.
- Defended claims asserted against prominent real estate developer for alleged breach of oral contract to share millions in profits.
- Defended real estate services firm and related entities in multimillion dollar veil-piercing claims.
- Represented global real estate lender in multimillion dollar contested foreclosure of exclusive shopping center development project in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
- Defended multimillion dollar contract claim concerning internet hosting services asserted against one of largest shopping mall REITs.
- Represented one of largest shopping mall REITs in multimillion dollar contract dispute concerning private line telecommunications.
- Represented global real estate services firm in enforcement of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements with former employee.
- Represented general partner of real estate partnership in defense of claims brought by limited partner for breach of fiduciary duty and breach of partnership agreement.
- Represented court appointed receivers in numerous high profile commercial foreclosures of shopping malls.
- Represented court appointed receiver in $110 million receivership concerning interrelated real estate companies.
- Represented high-profile retail tenant in its multimillion dollar breach of lease claim against landlord concerning redevelopment of State Street Corridor in Chicago.
- Represented the world’s largest independent hourly cost maintenance program for private business jets in numerous business disputes.
- Represented national truck lessor in breach of contract action for more than $22 million.
- Represented transportation trade association against State of Illinois in claims that certain state regulations were unconstitutional and otherwise void and unenforceable.
- Defended founders of privately held aviation industry business in multimillion dollar hostile takeover bid and in prosecuting claims related to the takeover attempts.
Law Firms and Lawyers
- Defended numerous regional, national and international law firms in multimillion dollar legal malpractice claims.
- Defended claims asserted against national law firm in action brought by former partner for breach of partnership agreement, accounting and dissolution of partnership.
- Appointed Independent Counsel in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois’ investigation of circumstances in which Milberg Weiss law firm came to represent plaintiffs in a shareholders’ derivative action against Boeing Co.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest health insurance companies by enforcing non-competition agreements with former employees.
- Defended a secured lender’s emergency motion for temporary restraining order to freeze assets of a computer software company.
- Represented departing founder in contract dispute concerning stock buy-out pricing under a buy-sell agreement.
- Defended multimillion dollar claims against employee benefits consultant for negligent misrepresentation and fraud.
- Represented closely-held medical corporation in corporate governance dispute with dissident minority shareholder.
- Secured dismissal of breach of software license and copyright infringement action brought against insurance industry client.
- Defended executor of estate and trustee of trust in claims brought by beneficiaries for breach of fiduciary duty and intentional misuse of trust and estate assets.
- Represented international bank in prosecution of claims related to purchase and sale of commercial mortgage backed securities and collateralized debt obligations or “CDOs”.
- Represented numerous clients in claims against former employees or officers for embezzling millions in corporate funds.
- Represented departing company founder in protracted negotiations pursuant to buy-sell provision.
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A. 1992), Magna Cum Laude, including studies at the London School of Economics
- Northwestern University (J.D. 1995), note and comment editor, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
- District of Columbia
- Trial Bar of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- “Deposing the Corporation under Fed. R. Civ. P. 30(b)(6) and Illinois Supreme Court Rule 206(a)(1),” Chicago Bar Association Committee on Commercial Litigation, June 10, 2013.
- “Recovering Attorney Fees for Defending Frivolous Claims,” 100 Ill. B.J. 474 (Sept. 2012) Read more.
- “Nine Steps that Hedge Fund Managers Should Take to Develop a Defensible Electronic Discovery Strategy,” co-authored with Jon Resnick of Applied Discovery, The Hedge Fund Law Report, vol. 4, no. 30, September 1, 2011.
- “Lender Liability: The borrower’s rights when it comes to loans and loan commitments,” an interview by Troy Sympson, Smart Business Chicago magazine, January 2011. Read more.
- Conference Faculty: 2010 Annual Discovery and E-Discovery Conference presented by Law Bulletin Seminars, June 2010.
- “Choosing Counsel: How to Hire and Keep the Best Litigation Counsel,” Small Business Opportunities Magazine, May 2001.
- “So You Want To Take Your Company Online?” The Chicago Software News (now <>i-Street Magazine), November 1999.
- Novack and Macey Attorney Monte L. Mann Authors Blog on Business Divorce
- 17 Attorneys Selected as 2013 Super Lawyers, Rising Stars
- Monte L. Mann Offers Pointers on Lowering Business Litigation Costs
- Monte L. Mann Named Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America
- “Small but Mighty” Litigation Boutique Scores Eight Appellate Victories in 2012
- Illinois Bar Journal Publishes Article on “Recovering Attorney Fees for Defending Frivolous Claims” by Monte L. Mann and John B. Haarlow, Jr.
- Novack and Macey Wins Dismissal for Kohler Co.
- Monte Mann Suggests Six Tips to Avoid Business Litigation in Interview with Smart Business Chicago Magazine
- Fleming, Macey, Mann, Marinello, Miller, Novack, Shonkwiler and Tarkington Are 2012 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Novack and Macey Named As a 2012 “Go-To” Litigation Firm for Fortune 500 Companies Based on Monte Mann’s Representation of Cummins, Inc.
- Monte Mann’s Article on Electronic Discovery Published in Hedge Fund Law Report
- Monte Mann Wins Summary Judgment for Great Lakes Vessel Operators in Challenge to Illinois EPA Regulations
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Mann, Waskowski and Stanton Win Preliminary Injunction to Protect Client’s Trade Secrets
- Novack and Macey Partner Monte Mann Wins Appeal for Third-Party Administrator of Pension Plans
- Smart Business Chicago Interviews Monte Mann on Lender Liability
- Fleming, Macey, Mann, Marinello, Miller, Novack, Shonkwiler and Tarkington Are 2011 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Novack and Macey Named One of the “Go-To” Litigation Firms for Fortune 500 Companies Based on Monte Mann’s Representation of Cummins, Inc.
- Monte Mann Serves on Faculty of 2010 Annual Discovery & E-Discovery Conference
- Monte Mann Wins $21.7 Million Judgment for Client Ryder Truck
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Again Selected as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Cummins Inc. Selects Novack and Macey as a “Go-To” Law Firm for Litigation Matters
- Novack and Macey Successfully Defeats Emergency Motion for TRO
- Novack and Macey Sponsors RealShare Chicago 2009
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Are Super Lawyers and Rising Stars!
- Novack and Macey Wins Dismissal in Software License and Copyright Dispute
- Novack and Macey Attorneys are Rising Stars
- Monte Mann Asked by Chicago Tribune to Comment on Dennis Quaid’s Lawsuit Against Baxter
- Appellate Court Affirms Summary Judgment in Declaratory Judgment Action
- Novack and Macey LLP Partner Monte Mann Appointed Independent Counsel to Investigate Milberg Weiss’ Role in Action Against Boeing
- Novack and Macey Wins Summary Judgment for General Growth Management, Inc.
- Monte L. Mann, Youngest Partner at High-Powered Chicago Litigation Firm Novack and Macey, Named One of Top Young Illinois Attorneys
- Novack and Macey Wins Summary Judgment for Jet Support Services, Inc.