- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Partnership and Closely Held Corporation Disputes
- Real Estate Litigation
- Trademark Litigation
John F. Shonkwiler concentrates his practice in commercial litigation matters, principally those involving contract actions, business torts, construction and real estate disputes and regulatory matters. John is recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters and a “Leading Lawyer” by Law Bulletin Publishing. In 2009, Law Bulletin Publishing also recognized John as one of its “40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch.”
John has represented leaders in the real estate development business, including the Trump Organization, in various lawsuits concerning large residential developments. John also has represented clients in the entertainment business, including an international music distributor and a group of local restaurateurs.
John helped the Trump Organization earn a string of victories in purchase and construction disputes relating to the Chicago Trump Tower. On Oct. 16, 2013, he received a Trial Lawyer Excellence Award from the Jury Verdict Reporter. He was recognized for the victory in the federal jury trial of Jacqueline Goldberg v. 401 North Wabash Venture LLC and Trump Chicago Managing Member LLC. The verdict on May 23, 2013, garnered national headlines. Link.
John and fellow partner Steve Novack obtained two important victories for Chicago’s Millennium Park Grill–first, persuading the Cook County Circuit Court, the Illinois Appellate Court and the Illinois Supreme Court to strike down a property tax levied by the Cook County Assessor on the grounds that the County had exceeded its taxing authority. Then, most recently, they prevailed in a year-long bench trial against the City of Chicago, defeating the City’s claim that sought to have the Park Grill’s contract declared void.
||John has written and spoken extensively on e-discovery, particularly the timely issue of “reflex” emailing and how better email habits and organization can reduce litigation costs and exposure. A sample of his presentation on this subject can be viewed by clicking on the arrow at left.
John was part of the team that obtained a $70 million judgment for Pentech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. against Par Pharmaceutical, Inc. in a federal trial here in Chicago. The dispute concerned how a contract between Pentech and Par applied to Par’s revenues from sales of a generic alternative to the blockbuster antidepressant drug Paxil.
John also helped obtain an $18 million settlement, reached during arbitration, of a liquidated damages claim in favor of a coal purchaser against a large coal producer for the producer’s failure to deliver low-priced coal as market prices rose.
John was a member of the team that successfully represented Night Vision Corporation (“NVC”), inventors of a “Panoramic Night Vision Goggle” that the U. S. Air Force hailed as a revolutionary piece of military equipment. According to NVC’s suit, the Air Force was on the verge of awarding NVC a contract to produce thousands of goggles when NVC’s chief subcontractor misappropriated the technology and took the contract away from NVC. John prepared a partial summary judgment motion on a key issue in the case that was successful and helped lead to a settlement the night before the jury trial was to begin in federal court in Virginia.
John also defended a world-renowned NASCAR racing team against a lawsuit in federal court claiming misuse and conversion of racing equipment, and got the case dismissed on the pleadings for lack of personal jurisdiction.
In a case in the Northern District of Illinois involving patent and trademark infringement claims, John litigated the trademark side of the dispute and, together with patent co-counsel, defeated all claims brought against the firm’s client PFE International (“PFE”). Immediately following Plaintiffs’ case-in-chief, PFE moved for judgment on all counts. The court granted the motion and found that Plaintiffs had failed to prove any act of infringement by PFE.
John serves on Novack and Macey’s Marketing Committee. John is a member of the American Bar Association (ABA) and Chicago Bar Association (CBA).
John served on the Board of Directors of Chicago Lights. He was born in Lansing, Michigan in 1970, and now lives with his wife and two kids in Flossmoor, Illinois.
- University of Michigan (B.A. 1992)
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D. 1998) Magna Cum Laude; topics editor for the University of Illinois Law Review
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- “Improve e-mail habits, cut legal bills and exposure,” Closing Argument Column, Chicago Lawyer, February 2014. Read More.
- “Bad Reflexes: How Improving Your E-Mail Habits Can Help Reduce Litigation Costs and Exposure,” an Interview in Smart Business Chicago, January 2012. Read more.
- “Clean Up your Electronic Junkyard: How Organizing E-mails Can Save You Time and Money in Litigation,” an Interview in Smart Business Chicago, November 2010. Read more.
- “Trademark Infringement/Dilution,” Illinois Causes of Action—Elements, Forms & Winning Tips, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2011, 2008, 2003.
- The City of Chicago v. The Chicago Park District, Millennium Park Joint Venture, LLC, and Millennium Park Management Venture, LLC, No. 11 CH 41075 (Circuit Court of Cook County, Sept. 24, 2015). Read more.
- Pactiv Corporation v. Jose Sanchez, No. 13-cv-8182, 2015 WL 4508667 (N.D. Ill. July 23, 2015). Read more.
- Goldberg v. 401 N. Wabash Venture, LLC, No. 13-3057, 2014 WL 2579939 (7th Cir. June 10, 2014). Read more.
- Karimi v. 401 N. Wabash Venture, LLC, No. 1-10-2670, 2011 IL App (1st) 102670. Read more.
- Burke v. 401 N. Wabash Venture, LLC, No. 08-5330, 2009 WL 2252194 (N.D. Ill. July 28, 2009). Read more.
- Millennium Park Joint Venture, LLC v. Houlihan, 241 Ill.2d 281, 948 N.E.2d 1, 349 Ill.Dec. 898 (2010). Read more.
- Pentech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. v. Par Pharmaceutical, Inc., 597 F. Supp. 2d 758 (N.D. Ill 2009).
- Pentech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. v. Par Pharmaceutical, Inc., No. 04 C 3149, 2004 WL 2390088 (N.D. Ill. Oct. 21, 2004). Read more.
- Judge Rules That 30-Year Lease on Park Grill Restaurant is Valid
- Seventh Circuit Court Affirms Novack and Macey Victory for Donald Trump and the Trump Organization
- John Shonkwiler Co-Chairs Chicago Lights Charity Event, Raising $463,000 for Outreach to Those Facing the Challenges of Poverty
- Steve Novack, John Shonkwiler Receive 2013 Jury Verdict Reporter Awards for Their Trump Case Victory
- John Shonkwiler Elevated to Hearing Officer by the Chicago Bar Association’s Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Novack and Macey Wins Seventh Circuit Decision in Favor of the Trump Tower Chicago Developer
- 17 Attorneys Selected as 2013 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- John Shonkwiler Explains How “Reflex” EMail Habits Can Lead to Costly Litigation
- IICLE Recognizes Novack and Macey Volunteers as “Exceptional Writers” of Civil-Litigation Materials
- Novack and Macey Defeats Summary Judgment on Behalf of Shareholder in Family-Owned Business
- John Shonkwiler Named to Chicago Lights Board of Directors
- Fleming, Macey, Mann, Marinello, Miller, Novack, Shonkwiler and Tarkington Are 2012 Illinois Super Lawyers
- John Shonkwiler Explains How Improving E-Mail Habits Can Reduce Litigation Costs and Exposure
- Developer of Trump International Hotel & Tower, Chicago, Wins Appeal
- Novack and Macey LLP’s Recent Supreme Court Victory Is the Latest in a String of Victories on Behalf of its Clients in Illinois Reviewing Courts
- Fleming, Macey, Mann, Marinello, Miller, Novack, Shonkwiler and Tarkington Are 2011 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Clean Up Your Electronic Junkyard: How Organizing E-Mails Can Save You Time and Money in Litigation
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Again Selected as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Novack and Macey Partner John Shonkwiler is One of the Top 40 Under 40 in Illinois
- David Beats Goliath…Again
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Are Super Lawyers and Rising Stars!
- Novack and Macey Attorneys are Rising Stars
- Appellate Court Affirms Summary Judgment in Declaratory Judgment Action
- Complete Victory for Defendants in Patent and Trademark Infringement Trial
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Win Dismissal of a Lawsuit against a Prominent NASCAR Racing Team