Andrew P. Shelby concentrates his practice in commercial litigation and has represented a wide range of clients in complex disputes involving such issues as breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, corporate law, securities law and class action claims. He is a member of the Real Estate Litigation Practice Group.
As pro bono projects, Andrew has represented victims of domestic violence and indigent asylum seekers. Before joining Novack and Macey, Andrew was an associate at Latham & Watkins. He was born in Nashville, Tennessee and now resides in Chicago.
From 2012 through 2016, Super Lawyers selected Andrew as an Illinois Rising Star, an honor given to fewer than 2.5 percent of all Illinois lawyers.
- Kenyon College (B.A. 2003), with Distinction in Philosophy
- Indiana University School of Law-Bloomington (J.D. 2008), Cum Laude; Associate Editor, Indiana Law Journal, 2006-2007; Managing Editor, Indiana Law Journal, 2007-2008
Speeches & Publications
Co-author, "Beware: Illinois Federal Attorney-Client Privileges and Work Product Doctrines are Different," Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 105 #11, November 2017. View PDF.
“Fifth Circuit Rules in OMG, L.P. v. Heritage Auctions,” a Case Note on OMG, L.P. v. Heritage Auctions, No. 14-10403, 2015 WL 2151779 (5th Cir. May 8, 2015), News & Developments, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Website, Sept. 29, 2015. View PDF.
- “Tennessee High Court Clarifies Tennessee Law to Avoid Preemption,” a Case Note on Berent v. CMH Homes, Inc., No. E2013-01214-SC-R11-CV, 2015 WL 3526984, —S.W.3d—(Tenn. June 5, 2015), American Bar Association Section of Litigation Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee Website, July 28, 2015. View PDF.
- “Preservation plan: Discovery of electronically stored information poses significant risks,” Smart Business Chicago, November 2014. View PDF.
- Co-author, Fighting anonymous online defamation, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, March 11, 2014. View PDF.
- Co-author, Internet Defamation: The Need to Change Illinois and Federal Law.” CBA Record, February-March 2013. View PDF.
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Secure Trial Victory for Directors of Family Owned Business
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Win Resounding Victory in Seventh Circuit for Bankers Life
- "Appeals Court Ruling Chips at Arbitration" in Crain's Chicago Business, Aug, 3, 2016
- Novack and Macey Attorneys Defeat Motion to Dismiss Client’s Complaint
- 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Hard Fought Victory for Park Grill
- Novack and Macey Attorneys including Andrew Shelby Win Complete Victory in Putative Class Action under Fair Labor Standards Act and Illinois Minimum Wage Law
- Novack and Macey Wins Appeal in Case of First Impression
- Marinello and Shelby Advocate Changes in Illinois Law on Internet Defamation; Chicago Bar Association Agrees and Will Sponsor Legislation
- Marinello and Shelby: Laws on Internet Defamation Need to Change
- “Small but Mighty” Litigation Boutique Scores Eight Appellate Victories in 2012
- Novack and Macey Scores Hard-Fought Summary Judgment Victories